Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Night You Were Born



In an incredible effort to give Titus a bedtime routine that does not include the effort of giving him a bath every night. Kudos to those parents but I don't want to do it. I have come up with the same bedtime story for his routine every night.

We read...




I now know this story by heart and it goes a little something like so...


On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "life will never same" for there had never been anyone like you ever in the world.

So enchanted with you were the wind and the rain that they whispered the sound of your wonderful name. It sailed through the farmland high on the breeze, over the ocean and through the trees, until everyone heard and everyone knew of the one and only ever you.

Not once had there been such eyes, such nose and such, silly, wiggly, wonderful toes.

When the polor bears heard, they danced until dawn. From far away places the geese flew home. The moon stay up until morning next day. The ladybugs landed and decided to stay.

So whenever you doubt just how special you are and you wonder who loves you how much and how far. Just listen to geese honking high in the sky, they're singing a song to remember you by. And notice the bears asleep at the zoo, it's because they've been dancing all night for you. Or drift off to sleep to the sound of the wind, listen closely it's whispering your name again.

If the moon stays up until morning one day. Or a lady bug lands and decides to stay. Or a little bird sits at your window awhile. It's because they're all hoping to see you smile.

For never before in story or rhyme. Not even once upon time. Has the world ever know a you, my son. And it never will, not ever again.

Heaven blew every trumpet and played every horn, on the wonderful, marvelous morning you were born.

Most of the time this works, our wonderful little man goes to bed around 8pm every evening. Every once in awhile the story and the prayer time that follows is not enough and after a few minutes of cries I go back in and sing one of two songs.

Raindrops on Roses or My Jesus My Savior

Why just those two songs? Well, my Mom sang Raindrops on Roses to me.... and well My Jesus My Savior - it was the only worship song I could come up with to sing so many times when I desperately needed to worship while attempting to soothe a newborn. We would sing it over and over again. And change all the I's to We's.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

SOO SOO SWEET! I a going to find me a copy of that book :0) I read Linc the little bear bible every night and like you I have it memorized :0) I even recite it for him in the car if he is not too happy. I used to read him "My monster Momma Loves me So", I love that one!