Friday, June 27, 2008

What I've learned in the last 7 weeks



Seven weeks ago this Sunday, I gave birth to my first child.

One week ago I attended my TEN year high school reunion.

Two days ago I accomplished ten months of marriage.


1. Water does not break like it does in the movies. It does not break once. If the child inside has not dropped it will continue to break over and over again all day. Gross.

2. Epidural does make labor pain free. And getting an epidural is incredibly uncomfortable.

3. No one tells you about the pressure. Pressure isn't pain. It is a completely different category.

4. I was not the woman I expected myself to be in labor. I screamed, grunted, swore to never have kids, shushed my husband from praying, almost prayed for a c-section, BUT I never said a bad word.

5. No one can ever explain to you how incredibly hard it is to be a mom or a dad. People tried. I still had no idea.

6. No one can ever explain to you how incredibly wonderful it is to be a mom or dad. People tried. I still had no idea.

7. The first time he smiled at me, and I really felt like he had, I cried.

8. OH! The baby blues... WOW... I wept for no reason. They lasted for a couple weeks, and I wasn't sure they would end. AGAIN... caught by surprise.

9. They tell you to count on wearing your maternity clothes out of the hospital, no problem. BUT someone could have told me I wouldn't be able to wear my shoes out of the hospital. My feet and ankles and calves were VERY swollen for a week.

10. "Failing" at breastfeeding is devastating. Especially when my body was at fault.

11. Really understanding that all of Titus' days were written before he was born and mine too and that I didn't "FAIL" at breastfeeding - Absolutely Amazing!!!

12. I CAN take the baby out in public, to the store, to a restaurant, to the park, even to work. And I can do it by myself.

13. It is way easier to do it not by myself, and especially with Dad.

14. Brion is more of a Dad then I ever imagined him being.

15. We have almost survived our first year of marriage, so far we have survived a pregnancy, child birth, and the first few weeks of newborn baby. We can do ANYTHING! And I am more in love with him everyday!

16. Cheap carnations are the best flowers because they last the longest. (More bang for your buck!) And... my husband does his best to make sure there are always fresh ones in the house for me!

17. 10 year high school reunions are not really all they are cracked up to be.

18. Everyone has now convinced me that my 20 year reunion will be so much better.

19. Is semi-formal really a hard concept to understand?

20. I would not trade my life for anything. Would not change the slightest piece of it. I have a wonderful husband, an amazing baby, good church - good jobs. We're not perfect and we have lots of faults. But we love Jesus and almost everynight my husband holds me in his arms and prays for me and our family and that is more than I could ever ask for.


1 comment:

Ashley said...

You are SUCH A GOOD MOMMA!! I told Levi yesterday after we left the park how amazing you are and how relaxed and confident as a mom you are... I am gleaning :0) This is such a sweet post and believe me I felt all of the same things to certain degrees!! I am SO proud of you for realizing GOD'S plan not YOUR failures... what a great thought. I need to work on that! You are doing GREAT and if you EVER need a helping/understanding hand you know who to call :0)